I am an Assistant Professor at IIIT Hyderabad, India. Here, I'm associated with Centre for Security, Theory, and Algorithmic Research (CSTAR). I am a member of Ripple's UBRI and hold a Guest Researcher position at the SPRITZ research group at University of Padua, Italy. Previously, I worked as a Post-Doctoral Researcher in Delft Blockchain Lab of TU Delft, Netherlands (advisors: Prof. Zekeriya Erkin and Prof. Stefanie Roos). I was also a Visiting Research Scholar (host: Prof. Giuseppe Ateniese) at Stevens Institute of Technology, USA. I earned my PhD degree in Brain, Mind, and Computer Science (supervisors: Prof. Mauro Conti and Prof. Anna Spagnolli) from University of Padua, Italy with a fully-funded fellowship by Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Padova e Rovigo (CaRiPaRo). I also hold an MTech degree (supervisor: Prof. Manoj Singh Gaur) in Computer Engineering from MNIT Jaipur, India and a BTech degree in Information Technology from RTU Kota, India.
I have worked in different mainstream areas of research, including distributed ledger technology (blockchain and cryptocurrencies), networking (ICN and SDN), and AI (GAN-based password cracking). However, the main theme of my research has always been security and privacy. My research work is inherently multidisciplinary. Currently, I am focusing on the following research areas:
- Blockchain: Consensus and micropayments.
- Privacy: Anonymity and identity.
- Security: Communication and system.
- [A7] Best Paper Award at ACM CODASPY '23, 2023.
- [A6] Zoox Best Paper Runner-up Award at NDSS-VehicleSec '23, 2023.
- [A5] DBL Post-doctoral Research Fellowship, 2020.
- [A4] Exchange Visitor Grant, Stevens Institute of Technology, USA, 2019.
- [A3] Young Researcher Award (2nd runner-up) at DIGITALmeet '18, 2018.
- [A2] Intel Student Travel Grant at IEEE NFV-SDN '17, 2017.
- [A1] Fully-funded CaRiPaRo Doctoral Research Fellowship, 2016.
- [F3] "Blockchain and Machine Learning Powered Unified Video Know Your Customer Framework," MeitY (Government of India) funding, 2022-2024.
- [F2] "Towards Secure and Efficient PoW Alternatives," Ripple Centre of Excellence funding scheme, 2021-2023.
- [F1] "Secure Provisioning of Blockchain-based Systems over Future Internet Architecture," Ripple Centre of Excellence funding scheme, 2021-2024.
- Invited Talks
- [I7] "Intro to DeFi," DeFi 101 @ S&P Global, Online, Global event, June 06, 2022.
- [I6] "From Crypto to DeFi," S&P Global, Hyderabad, India, April 18, 2022.
- [I5] "Introduction to Layer-two Blockchains," CS Katha Barta, Bhubaneshwar, India, February 19, 2022.
- [I4] "Scaling Blockchain with Off-chain Solutions," Workshop on Security & Privacy in Blockchain, Hyderabad, India, February 16, 2022.
- [I3] "The Infamous Side of Cryptocurrencies," AICTE ATAL FDP on Cyber Security Oversight for Information Protection, Cochin, India, July 12, 2021.
- [I2] "Modern Ransomware in the Bitcoin Playground," BLOCKCHAIN le sfide della sicurezza nell'era di Bitcoin, Padua, Italy, January 31, 2019.
- [I1] "Software Defined Networks: An Overview," International Symposium on Future Internet: Security Issues and Opportunities, Padua, Italy, May 10, 2018.
- Program Committee Member
- Research Visits
- Journals: IEEE TIFS, IEEE TDSC, IEEE TNSM, IEEE TSC, ACM TCPS, IEEE Access, Elsevier COMCOM, Elsevier COMNET, Springer IJIS.
- Conferences: IEEE EuroS&P '23, ACNS '23, ACM CODASPY '23, ACM ASIACCS '22, WWW '22, ACNS '22, FC '21, ESORICS '21, ACM CODASPY '21, CANS '21, NDSS '20, ACM ASIACCS '20, ESORICS '20, ACM WiSec '20, IEEE CNS '20, IEEE ISCC '20, ICICS '20, ISC '20, ESORICS '19, WWW '19, ACNS '19, IEEE NFV-SDN '19, IEEE ICC '19 CISS, IEEE ICCE '19, ACM CIKM '18, IEEE NFV-SDN '18, IEEE/ACM ASONAM '18, WISTP '18, IEEE NFV-SDN '17, ICISS '17.
- Workshops: CBT '23 (in conjunction with ESORICS '23), CBT '22 (in conjunction with ESORICS '22), CBT '20 (in conjunction with ESORICS '20), CPS4CIP '20 (in conjunction with ESORICS '20), CPSS '18 (in conjunction with ACM ASIACCS '18), CyberICPS '18 (in conjunction with ESORICS '18), CPS-Sec '18 (in conjunction with IEEE CNS '18), SPA '17 (in conjunction with IEEE CNS '17).
- Seminars/Guest Lectures
- [S1] "Modern Problems in Modern Mobile OSes," Sapienza University of Rome, Italy, May 31, 2023.
- [G5] "Intro to DeFi" in "Advanced Topics in Computer and Network Security" course, University of Padua, Italy, November 10, 2022.
- [G4] "Introduction to Blockchains" in "Introduction to Information Security" course, Shandong University, China, April 06, 2022.
- [G3] "A Look at Bitcoin Offshoots" in "Computer and Network Security: Advanced Topics" course, TU Delft, Netherlands, June 2, 2021.
- [G2] "ABC: Algorand + Bitcoin-apps + Cryptominers" in "Computer and Network Security" course, University of Padua, Italy, November 11, 2020.
- [G1] "ABC: Algorand + Bitcoin-apps + Cryptominers" in "Computer and Network Security: Advanced Topics" course, TU Delft, Netherlands, May 14, 2020.
- Web Chair
(check also the full list)
- September 2023: Our paper "De-authentication using Ambient Light Sensor" is now available as arXiv preprint.
- September 2023: Our paper "A First Look at Shill Looping in NFT Ecosystem" has been accepted at IEEE WIFS '23.
- February 2023: Our paper "On the Feasibility of Profiling Electric Vehicles through Charging Data" has been accepted at NDSS '23 workshop: VehicleSec '23; it won the Zoox Best Paper Runner-up Award.
- December 2022: Our paper "AutoSpill: Credential Leakage from Mobile Password Managers" has been accepted at ACM CODASPY '23; it won the Best Paper Award. An extension of this work has been accepted at BlackHat Europe Briefings '23.
- October 2022: Our paper "A Survey of Layer-Two Blockchain Protocols" has been accepted for publication in Elsevier Journal of Network and Computer Applications.
- August 2022: Our paper "Analyzing Price Deviations in DeFi Oracles" has been accepted at CANS '22.
- July 2022: Our paper "BLEWhisperer: Exploiting BLE Advertisements for Data Exfiltration" has been accepted at ESORICS '22.
- February 2022: Our project proposal "Blockchain and Machine Learning Powered Unified Video Know Your Customer Framework" has won MeitY (Government of India) funding.
- [News archive]